Treatment & Managment of Arthritis Suffering Pets
At Balwyn Veterinary Surgery our staff are very experienced in recognising and treating the signs of canine and feline osteoarthritis.
Arthritis is a painful disease that is very common in older animals. Fortunately, the signs of arthritis can be managed with medication and a few simple lifestyle changes.
Common Signs In Dogs:
Some of the common signs of arthritis in dogs are:
- Slowing down on longer walks
- Difficulty rising from rest
- Difficulty climbing stairs
- A hunched spine
- Loss of muscle mass, especially in the hind legs and along the latter parts of the spine
The signs of arthritis are often much more subtle in cats as they are well practiced at hiding signs of disease and discomfort. Some signs you may notice are:
- Reluctance to jump up and down from heights, run and play
- Lapsed litterbox habits (due to discomfort getting in and out of the tray)
- More time spent sleeping
- Lapsed grooming habits (due to pain in reaching certain areas of the body)